Student Textbook Resources
The Campus Store’s textbook rental program provides every undergraduate and graduate student access to textbooks, eBooks and digital courseware in exchange for a fixed fee per semester. Students can choose to opt out of this rental program each term.
Approximately 80% of textbooks and course materials will be provided digitally in the rental program. Students can access content anytime, anywhere — including 100% offline access. Physical textbooks of titles that do not have a digital version will also be provided as part of this rental program.
How to review and order textbook and course materials
Visit the Adoptions Search Page to review and order your physical course materials for all classes you are enrolled in for the current term.
How to access digital textbooks and course materials
eBooks and courseware included in the rental program will be available in AsULearn on the first day of class.
- Click on the “My Materials” link within any of your AsULearn courses.
- This will open the AsULearn Dashboard, which will display all of your course materials for each active course in which you are enrolled.
- Click "Read Now" to go to the VitalSource Bookshelf to sign in or create an account.
- VitalSource Bookshelf Student Support Page.
- 24/7 Support (Email, Call, or Chat).
- Video demonstration in AsULearn.
- If your course materials are not available in the "My Materials" tab, please contact your instructor.
How to access physical textbooks and purchased course materials
Physical textbooks of titles that do not have a digital version will also be provided as part of the textbook rental program. All physical textbooks and purchased course materials can be ordered for pick up at the Campus Store or the Hickory Campus Services office, or shipped directly to students via UPS for a flat fee.
How to request a print copy of an eBook
Students actively enrolled in the Campus Store’s textbook rental program can order supplemental loose leaf print copies of eBooks at a cost of $20 per book, which will be charged to their student account.
***Please note that supplemental loose leaf print copies are ordered from VitalSource, and may take more than one month to arrive. Therefore, students are encouraged to consider other options to acquire their print books.***
To request a print copy of an eBook from VitalSource:
- You must be enrolled in the textbook rental program. Print copies of eBooks are not available to students who opt-out of the textbook rental program.
- Only those eBooks assigned to a student can be ordered.
- Complete the App State Textbook Rental Program - Print Copy Purchase Form. Please provide textbook and course level details.
- The option to order print copies is available only during the drop/add period and orders after that date will not be fulfilled. See Important Dates for details.
- The $20 per textbook fee will be charged to your student account and is non-refundable. It is your responsibility to pick up requested print copies at the Campus Store when you are emailed about their arrival.
Opting out of the rental textbook program for each term
- Students who choose to opt out of the textbook rental program must submit a request for each term. Some students may choose to opt out if they are student teaching, in clinicals, doing an internship, etc. However, if a student chooses to opt out, they will need to purchase required textbooks from another outlet of their choice.
- If you would like to opt out, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org — include your name and Banner ID number.
- Opt out deadlines are the UNC Census dates for each term:
- Fall 2023: Sept. 1
- Spring 2024: Jan. 29
- July 20: Textbook online orders open.
- August 1: Access to digital textbooks opens.
- September 1: Deadline to opt out of rental program.
- December 19: Deadline to return rental textbooks.
- December 14: Textbook online orders open.
- January 3: Access to digital textbooks opens.
- January 29: Deadline to opt out of rental program.
- May 14: Deadline to return rental textbooks.
Returning rental textbooks
Purchased textbooks can be returned, in the same condition as purchased and with the original receipt, within 2 weeks of the first day of class.
Students will be required to return physical rental textbooks at the end of each term, using one of the three methods listed below:
- Campus Store In-Person Return: Students can return their textbooks to the second floor of the Campus Store during business hours of 8-6 Mondays-Thursdays, 8-5 Fridays, and 10-3 on Saturdays. The Campus Store is not responsible for rental books left unattended or returned to library drop boxes.
- Hickory Campus In-Person Return: Hickory Campus students can return their rental textbooks to the Campus Services desk at the Hickory Campus between 10 am - 3:30 pm on Monday-Friday. Only return the books to a Campus Services representative. DO NOT leave your books unattended at this location. The Campus Store is not responsible for rental books left unattended or returned to the wrong location.
- Ship to Campus Store: Students who are not in Boone and unable to return their rental textbooks during the regular Campus Store business hours can ship them back using a trackable method to the Campus Store return address - Campus Store Rental Returns Department, 219 College Street, Boone, NC 28608. Due to the unpredictable nature of shipping times, your return will be processed within 30 days.
- Students need to include a sheet with their name and Banner ID with their books inside their package.
- Students who do not return rental textbooks by the deadline will be charged the cost of the book(s).
- Rental textbooks must be returned in similar condition as received.
- Damaged books are not accepted. Late returns may receive partial credit.
- Any exception to this policy must have prior approval by one of the Campus Store course materials managers.
- If rental textbooks are not returned in person or postmarked by the rental return deadline, the student's account will be charged the replacement cost of the books. Rental textbooks returned after the return deadline will be credited half the replacement cost.
If you have questions, please put in a Campus Store Support Request ticket (log-in required).